Shorewood on the Sound Community Club History
1950 - 1959
In 1950 work continued on the bath house at the beach. Ladies Silver Tea was established as an annual event. Shorewood kids were sent to Mt. View School, but buses were not provided. After much pressure from local residents, construction on Shorewood School began and continued into the next year. There were so many children in the local area double shifts were threatened as soon as it opened. Local (irate) citizens went to the school board again and convinced them of the need for "The Annex."
1952 saw the annexation of Shorewood to the Southwest Suburban Sewer District. Garden clubs organized planting of the flowering cherry trees in the community. Volunteers planted 2,000 seedlings of cedar and fir on beach property. Highline School District had no kindergarten, so Shorewood Pre-School was organized to run their own school. Helen Schmieden convinced the school board to allow parents with pre-schoolers to install their own building on the grounds of the Shorewood School. She arranged to get a disbanded war-housing unit in 1953. They remodeled it, added to it and moved into it in 1954, all for $1,500, thanks to donated time and labor. Charging an average of $6 per child per month the kindergarten paid its rent, paid its teacher ($265-375 per month) and provided all necessary equipment.
By 1954 Shorewood C.C. had 85 paid-up members. Negotiations were going on for a sewage treatment plant. Storm drainage problems caused damage so drainage easements were established. A Clubhouse Committee was formed, for the second time in five years, to study feasibility of building a clubhouse.
At this time SW 116th Street did not connect with Ambaum Boulevard. So in 1955 residents petitioned the county to bridge the canyon on 116th Street just west of Ambaum Boulevard, to create better access to our area. Road improvements that year included street lights, stop signs, guard rails, and fire hydrants. Shorewood roads were finally accepted by the county. The Sewer Treatment Plant was being completed. Teen activities included skating and dancing parties, dance lessons taught by Tices, queens selected for SeaFair. Teens delivered newsletters and sold light bulbs.
Also at about this time Ed Pfafman built a wonderful big covered patio on his house at 12209 Marine View Drive SW, which very quickly became the community center for all ages. Ed and Venus were truly magnanimous in letting the neighbors use it. When the patio was destroyed in the early 1990's it ended an unmatched era of friendly generosity in Shorewood.
In 1957 the beach bath-house was wrecked by vandals who climbed over chain-link fence, broke down locked doors, and smashed toilets and sinks. Plans were made to install sewers in Shorewood. The First Avenue South Drawbridge was opened for traffic.
The "Highline Project" at Highline High School was promoted by Associated Clubs of South King County. Bill Moshier of Shorewood was active in this group and influential in developing the plan for the extensive array of ball fields. When Bill died suddenly, Moshier Field was named in his memory. The Challenge of Community Leadership by Bill Moshier (1958).
1959 brought new gates and four-foot fencing to the beach. Problems of rifles and horses on the beach. Seahurst State Park plan proposed.
Site created by All Pro Webworks, LLC.